Share via Email
What is personal information? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual.
Children: If you are under the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
- We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; subscribe to a newspaper; sign up to receive electronic messages, including by email or SMS; register on an online forum or website, or to attend a paid event; download and use one of our mobile applications or register on a mobile application; purchase any product or service from Metro English Canada; are a classified advertiser or auction participant; or provide it to us when you attend a trade or consumer show. This information is used to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to provide targeted advertising, and to respond to your inquiries. From time to time this information may be used to provide reward points or apply credit, as applicable in the circumstances.
- We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) when you make a charitable donation to Metro English Canada’s sponsored charities, for the purpose of processing your donation and to issue you an income tax receipt.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we collect and use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners, and responding to your inquiries. Some contests may also involve co-sponsors, prize suppliers or other third parties who have their own privacy practices. In these cases, the contest rules and/or entry forms will indicate if your personal information is being shared with these co-sponsors, prize suppliers or other third parties.
- We may collect demographic information, and may use this information along with your personal contact information in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may improve our products and services and develop new products and services, and to determine your eligibility for other products and services.
- We may also use demographic information and personal contact information to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to products or services you requested from us or which Metro English Canada provides. In addition, we may use this information to provide you with more targeted offers, advertising, information and content (including offers and other information that has been supplied by our affiliates and selected sponsors or advertisers), including on websites you visit (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- We keep notes and special instructions for classified advertisers and subscribers to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service. We may record or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for training and quality assurance purposes. We may also keep records of your interactions with our customer service team, and will use this information to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to respond to your inquiries, to improve our products and services and develop new products and services, to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to products or services you requested from us or which Metro English Canada provides, or to provide you with Marketing Offers.
- We collect your credit card information if you: subscribe to a newspaper; register on a paid Site; register to attend a paid event; purchase any product from Metro English Canada or through one of our Sites; or are a classified advertiser or an auction participant. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order or processing refunds or applying credit, if applicable.
- If you provide a complaint to any of our departments, we will collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating your concerns and responding to you.
- If you provide freelance or other services to us, we may collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you.
- We may also use or collect additional information from freelancers, other service providers and from advertisers, such as financial information (for example, banking details and credit history) to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other relevant information to help facilitate your provisions of services and to help us evaluate the quality of your services.
- We may use your personal information for the purposes of : managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing your accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting all relevant Canadian and international regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements.
- Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. If you choose to participate in these surveys and provide your personal information for that purpose, your information will be aggregated as part of the survey results and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not identify you. However, your information will also be used by us to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop new products and services, to determine your eligibility for other products and services, and to provide you with Marketing Offers.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we will keep your contact information and details with respect to your opt-out on a list so that your request can be honoured, and we may retain your information to fulfill legal or regulatory obligations or for other purposes permitted by law.
Cookies and Online Behavioural Advertising
- If you are concerned about cookies, please review and adjust your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our Sites.
- We may place advertising or other links on our Sites that originate from outside advertisers and other third parties. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign or recognize cookies. Metro English Canada does not control these cookies, nor is it responsible for any marketing or other use of your information by these advertisers or other third parties.
- Our Sites may use Web beacon, gif or other technologies to better tailor and manage advertising on the Sites. These technologies may be in use on a number of pages across web sites. When you access these pages, a notice of that visit is generated which may be processed by us or by our suppliers. These Web beacons or gifs usually work in conjunction with cookies. If you don’t want your cookie information to be associated with your visits to these pages, you can set your browser to turn off cookies. If you turn off cookies, Web beacons, gifs and other technologies will still detect visits to these pages, but the notices they generate cannot be associated with other cookie information and are disregarded.
- Many of our Sites use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Site. These companies may use information (such as web pages you visit and your response to ads but not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. Some ads appearing on our Sites are delivered to you by DoubleClick, which is a web advertising company. These third parties may, from time to time, use information that they collect about your visits to the Sites, such as the number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, email address or telephone number) to serve additional ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to have your information used in this way, please click on the following link: DoubleClick. The following link has useful information about how to opt out of cookies that are placed by companies who are members of the network NAI (Network Advertising Initiative): NAI Opt-Out. For more information on online behavioural advertising or to opt-out from other third-party advertising companies, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at Your Ad Choices.
- We may also use IP (Internet protocol) addresses to display or allow our third party advertising providers to display more targeted advertising and content.
- We use IP (internet protocol) addresses, to gather demographic and statistical information about our users, for systems administration and to diagnose problems with our servers, and to administer our Sites.
- We may combine personal information we have collected about you or received from you with publicly available records or with other third party information sources in order to better understand our customers and enhance our ability to provide you with products, services and Marketing Offers that may be of interest to you.
To whom does Metro English Canada disclose personal information, and why? Metro English Canada may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- To provide you with Marketing Offers, Metro English Canada may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- We may disclose or share non-personally identifiable information with partners or advertisers to help explain our business and the effectiveness of our business or for promotional purposes. For example, we may disclose aggregated demographic information which does not include any personally identifiable information.
- Metro English Canada may transfer your personal information to third party service providers, which may be located outside of Canada (including in the United States), in order to fulfill your order or perform processing and other specialized services (such as credit card or payment processing, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, management of customer service requests, product delivery, data analysis for purposes of managing and administering our business, delivery of Marketing Offers or other communications, circulation auditing and industry accreditation).
- Metro English Canada may transfer your personal information to auditors providing services to Metro English Canada (including without limitation financial audit, circulation auditing and industry standard accreditation services) in order to comply with legal, regulatory or industry association requirements, to verify delivery of products and circulation data, and to achieve or maintain certain industry accreditations.
- Metro English Canada may provide your name and credit card information on a confidential basis to a third party (which party may be outside of Canada) for the purpose of updating your credit card information to ensure that your ongoing subscription to Metro English Canada products and services is not interrupted.
- Metro English Canada may disclose your personal information to our affiliates who provide internal audit, management, billing or administrative services on our behalf.
We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without your consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.
Metro English Canada may disclose your personal information to third parties if you have violated our terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities, for other legal reasons (which may include lawful access by Canadian, U.S. or foreign courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities) and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Sale of Business
Metro English Canada may disclose your personal information on a confidential basis to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time from receiving (i) Marketing Offers from Metro English Canada or (ii) Marketing Offers from third parties by doing any of the following:
- follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- inform your telemarketer at the time you are called with a Marketing Offer.
- Call Digital Editorial and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- Email Digital Editorial and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
It may take 2-4 weeks to fully process your opt-out request. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving Marketing Offers, you may continue to receive certain transactional message from us.
Safeguards. Metro English Canada has technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information in a manner that is reasonable and appropriate to the nature of the personal information you provide to Metro English Canada. For example, when you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our Site is secure. Credit card numbers should not be sent by email. Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or comment sites are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users. Metro English Canada is not responsible for personal information you choose to post or submit in any online forum on any of its Sites.
How to access and correct your personal information. Some of our Sites may provide you with the means to access, update, edit or delete certain subscriber or registration information by going to the appropriate page on the Site and changing or deleting such information as desired. Alternatively, or for other information, you may call or email Digital Editorial and we will make the changes upon receipt of appropriate evidence.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
Digital Editorial can successfully deal with many issues. If you prefer, or if after contacting Digital Editorial your concerns or questions have not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact Torstar Corporation’s Chief Privacy Officer in writing as follows:
Chief Privacy Officer
One Yonge Street, 6th floor
Fax: (416) 869-4183