Coleslaw classic with a dash of granny love
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
• Half green cabbage, about 1 lb/500 g
• 1 small carrot, shredded with grater
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayo
• 5 tsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
• 4 tsp (20 mL) each white vinegar, canola oil and dry or ground mustard
• Salt and pepper
When a mother of seven loves her children, she will make sure they eat well. When those children grow up, marry and have kids of their own, the grandchildren yearn for the tasty food that grandma makes. And often each household has its own signature dishes.
This is truly the case with my friend’s family, the Hohenadels. Grandma Hohenadel serves up her Gram-Slaw, a simple yet super tasty cabbage slaw that tastes even better because she makes it. When they say the secret ingredient is love, I believe it!
Here is the recipe that she lovingly makes for her family.
I know once you make it, it will be a new family favourite for you, too.
1. Cut cabbage into pieces that will fit into your food processor tube. While it’s running put cabbage pieces in and chop to make four cups (1 L). Scrape into large bowl; add carrot.
2. In bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, oil and mustard. Scrape over cabbage mixture and stir to coat well. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.