Wrap up the Caribbean with this jerk chicken dish
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
Chris De La Rosa first released The Vibrant Caribbean Pot as an e-book and this printed version contains 40 additional recipes for a total of 100 dishes that span a range of islands.
Aside from demystifying Caribbean cooking through informative sections that detail common herbs and ingredients, and much more, The Vibrant Caribbean Pot Vol. 2 is full of De La Rosa’s personal anecdotes and memories of growing up in Trinidad and Tobago.
Among the dishes are Ultimate Curry Chicken, Stewed Pumpkin with Shrimp, Corn Soup, Cassava Pone, and more.
"You’ll be astonished at how juicy the jerk chicken is. And with the tropical fruit flavours, your taste buds will go into overdrive,” writes Chris De La Rosa in his book The Vibrant Caribbean Pot Vol. 2. “You can make these ahead of time, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.”
1. Garlicky Spread: In a food processor or blender, combine the yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill, garlic and honey (if using). Process until well combined then transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavour.
2. Clean chicken pieces with the lemon juice and cool water, drain and place in a bowl. Cover in jerk marinade and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. In the meantime, move your oven rack so it’s about 6 to 8 inches away from the main heat source and set your oven to the broil setting. Line a baking pan with tin foil and brush it with oil or use cooking spray. Place the chicken on the lined pan, cover with any remaining marinade and broil for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip over and broil for another 8 minutes. If using thick chicken breast, broil an additional 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Blanch the carrots by bringing to a boil about 3 cups of water and tossing them in for 25 seconds. Immediately, transfer to a bowl with ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Shred the lettuce.
5. When chicken is cool, slice into 1/4 inch strips and if you have any drippings in the baking pan, pour over the sliced chicken and give it a good mix.
6. Take a flour tortilla and spread about a teaspoon of the Garlicky Spread across a 1-inch strip the length of the tortilla. Across one end, place a bit of chicken, carrots, mango, pineapple, lettuce and cucumber ribbons, and roll tightly, tucking everything in as you do so. Slice in the middle so you have two pieces of Jerk Chicken Wrap. Hold together with toothpicks.
• 3 lbs boneless chicken breast
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 1/2 cups jerk marinade
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 each cups carrots, julienned; lettuce; firm mango,
julienned; pineapple chunks;
cucumber ribbons (use a potato
• 8-10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
• 2 (8oz) containers plain Greek
• 1 cucumber; peeled, seeded
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp dill, chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic
• Few drops of honey (optional)
Recipe Courtesy The Vibrant Caribbean Pot 100 Traditional And Fusion Recipes Vol 2 by Chris De La Rosa (CaribbeanPot.com)