Black bean tortas with coconut chipotle mayo, straight outta Thug Kitchen
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
“A Torta is a bada— sandwich with the soul of a burrito,” writes the Thug Kitchen crew, an L.A. based duo behind the blog of the same name. “Make this mother— stat and see what your narrow sandwich world has been missing.”
1. Throw all those mayo ingredients in your blender or food processor and run that mother— on high for about a minute so everything is good and mixed. Taste and see if you want more hot sauce. Pour this all in a cup or bowl and store it in the fridge until you need it. It will thicken in there, just f—ing be patient.
2. Next, make the beans. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Throw in the onion and sauté it until it starts to look golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the beans and broth and stir that sh— up. Let it come to a simmer and then turn down the heat real low. Using a potato masher or big-a— spoon, smash up all those beans as best you can. Think chunky guacamole. Add the lime juice and then taste. Add some salt or more spices if that’s the kinda sh— you’re into. Now turn off the heat and make a torta.
3. Grab a toasted roll and smear with a bunch of the coconut chipotle mayo. Pile a f—ton of the beans on the bottom half. In between, add whateverthef— you want. Lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and some avocado are some time-tested choices, but be creative and sh—. Serve right away with some extra hot sauce.
Coconut Chipotle Mayo
• 1 cup canned coconut milk
• 1⁄3 cup of your favourite chipotle hot sauce
• 1⁄4 cup olive oil
• 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (Yeah, chia seeds, like the f— chia pet. They are rich in omega-3s and full of fibre. If you can’t find them, flaxseeds are an OK sub)
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
• Pinch of salt
Creamy Black Beans
• 1 tsp oil
• 1 yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 3⁄4 tsp ground cumin
• 3 cups cooked black beans
• 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
• Juice of 1 lime
• Salt to taste
• 4 crusty rolls, split and toasted
• Sliced tomatoes, red onion and avocado
More on Metronews.ca
Take stock of your debts and devise a plan to pay them off while saving as much on interest as you can.
Three ways to tell that you aren't a great bargain hunter, but consumed by shopping instead.