Make this comforting lentil chilli as the weather gets cooler
A thermos of hot chilli is like sending a hug to school with your kids.
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
Ready in 25 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 x 19-oz can of white navy beans
- 1 x 19-oz can black beans
- 1 x 28-oz can of whole tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: grated cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt.
1. In large pot or Dutch oven, warm up the oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic 3 minutes. Add spices and cook for a minute or two.
2. Add lentils, bay leaves and water. Bring to gentle boil and simmer 5 minutes. Now add the beans, tomatoes and broth.
Simmer 20 minutes. Check
for seasoning — you might want to add a little salt and pepper.
3. Serve the chili over rice or cornbread and top with grated cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, salsa or cilantro.
More on Metronews.ca
Take stock of your debts and devise a plan to pay them off while saving as much on interest as you can.
Three ways to tell that you aren't a great bargain hunter, but consumed by shopping instead.