Airdrie child dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
The 12-year-old boy succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning in a Calgary hospital
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
Airdrie RCMP say a 12-year-old boy who was exposed to carbon monoxide on Sunday died in hospital.
RCMP and emergency crews were called to an apartment complex in Airdrie on Sunday morning where they discovered a carbon monoxide leak in the building.
At 9:15 a.m., Sunday, EMS were dispatched to the building at 700 Willowbrook Road, after receiving initial reports of a child in medical distress, said Stuart Brideaux, public education officer for Alberta Health Services’ Emergency Medical Services.
The child, a male “of later elementary age,” was rushed to the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary in critical and life-threatening condition, where he later died.
His name will not be released at the family's request.
Contrary to initial statements made by RCMP, Brideaux confirmed that only one individual was taken to hospital and no one else at the complex was identified as needing medical attention.
It was upon arriving at the apartment building that emergency crews were able to detect “significantly elevated carbon monoxide levels in the unit, and subsequently the complex,” said Brideaux.
RCMP and fire crews then worked to evacuate all residents from the four floor building, which contains 136 apartment units, and were still doing so at 11 a.m. Sunday.
Transit buses were on site to transport evacuated residents to the nearby Genesis Centre in Airdrie while RCMP and emergency crews work to ventilate the building.
Cst. Dan Martin, media relations officer for the Airdrie RCMP detachment, said crews were still there as of 2:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon, and had located the source of the carbon monoxide leak.
Evacuees have been asked to remain offsite until further notice, but to monitor RCMP and emergency services social media sites for an update at 6 p.m. Sunday evening.
RCMP ask that the public stay clear of the apartment complex while they continue their investigation.