News / Halifax

Woman confirmed as victim in second suspicious death in Dartmouth: Halifax police

The case comes just after police ruled the death of Derek Mills on Friday a homicide.

Halifax Regional Police and its Forensic Identification Unit.

Staff / Metro file photo

Halifax Regional Police and its Forensic Identification Unit.

Police have confirmed a woman has died in the second suspicious death of the weekend in Dartmouth, but cannot yet say whether the cases are connected.

Just after 4 a.m. Sunday, police were called to 3 Farthington Place in Dartmouth in regards to what police are calling a suspicious death.

Const. Carol McIsaac, Halifax Regional Police spokesperson, told media on Sunday afternoon that they still had not confirmed the woman’s identity so her name and age could not be released. Police responded to the scene after a 911 call from someone who had found the woman.

This case comes less than 48 hours after police went to nearby Pinecrest Drive to reports of a 42-year-old man in medical distress at an apartment on Friday afternoon.

The man died at the scene.

On Saturday, police ruled his death a homicide. He was identified as Derek Phillip Miles, 42, of Dartmouth.

“There’s nothing yet to indicate that they are connected, but we’re not ruling it out. It’s really, really early in both investigations,” McIsaac said.

McIsaac said the woman was found dead in a residence in the apartment building when police arrived, but they cannot say whether she was living there.

Investigators are hoping the woman’s autopsy can be held on Monday, but that is also not yet confirmed.

The first homicide is not believed to be a random act, McIsaac said, and while it's too early to say whether the woman’s death was random “we do not believe the public has any reason to fear for their safety.”

McIsaac said police have not yet identified any suspects in either case, and no one has been arrested.

There were members from forensic identification, major crimes and homicide units on both scenes Sunday, with the Pinecrest Drive scene expected to wrap Sunday afternoon and the Farthington Place likely several hours later.

McIsaac said Farthington Place residents were asked to stay in their homes Sunday as to not contaminate the scene while officers gathered evidence, but by just after 3 p.m. the fourth floor was the only area still being secured.

Neither cause of death has been released. McIsaac said if police determine that is something the public should know then they will be released, but right know those details are part of the investigation.

More on