No charges laid after driver kills woman on Toronto sidewalk
Death comes on the heels of the city’s road safety plan
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
Charges have yet to be laid after a 38-year-old woman became Toronto’s 60th pedestrian death in the last 18 months, a day after the city unveiled its new road safety plan.
The woman was hit when the driver of a Mercedes SUV jumped the curb onto the sidewalk of Bremner Boulevard near Spadina where she was working as a street vendor at a nearby tent, Const. Hugh Smith said.
Her 35-year-old sister was also taken to hospital with minor injuries along with the 48-year-old woman who was driving the SUV.
Smith said the driver was making a lane change when “she accelerated mounted the curb and proceeded to cross the sidewalk.”
Police had the area cordoned off for several hours Tuesday afternoon while the front of the SUV was buried between the tents where the women had been working.
Smith said the women had been vendors in the area for some time. He didn’t know what they were selling, but international flags were visible behind the bright orange canvas of one tent.
The crash comes as road deaths in the city are rising.
Last year was one of the deadliest in recent memory in terms of pedestrian and cyclist deaths. Forty-three people died.
Seventeen pedestrians have now died this year. No cyclists have been killed.
No charges have been laid against the driver as of Wednesday morning, according to police.
More on Metronews.ca