News / Winnipeg

'Let my sister rest in peace': Winnipeg police arrest suspect in Angela Poorman murder

Police announced they arrested an 18-year-old man in connection with the stabbing death.

Angela Poorman, 29, died following a stabbing attack on Dec. 14, 2014.

Angela Poorman, 29, died following a stabbing attack on Dec. 14, 2014.

A few hours before they stood behind a podium to publicly announce an arrest in a 2014 homicide case Tuesday, Winnipeg police called the victim's sister to break the news. 

Candice Poorman, who lives in Saskatoon, said she thought she might be dreaming when she got the call she'd been awaiting for over two years.

Police arrested an 18-year-old man in connection to the 2014 stabbing death of 29-year-old Angela Poorman on Monday and charged him with second-degree murder. But they won't release the name of the accused because he was underage at the time of the alleged incident. 

"They should be releasing his name. I don’t see why not," said Candice Poorman in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. "When they told me they won’t be releasing his name, I had just woken up and they told me this, so I didn’t know how to react. I didn’t know to ask questions at the time because I was waking up and (thinking) ‘am I dreaming?’ But I think it’s fair that they release his name.”

On Dec. 14, 2014 at around 6:30 a.m., Angela Poorman was found suffering from stab wounds on a sidewalk in the area of Selkirk Avenue and Charles Street. She was rushed to hospital in critical condition and later died from her injuries.

Investigators from the homicide unit determined Poorman met a male suspect that morning and after an argument escalated, he stabbed her repeatedly with a large knife, then fled. 

Hearing the alleged killer is in custody offered her family some immediate relief, Candice Poorman said. She helped break the news to Angela Poorman's three children, ages 15 and under.

"For the past almost two years I’ve felt very astonished, very broken and hurt, knowing my sister was gone and her killer was still out there. I didn’t have that closure we needed," Candice Poorman said. "Now our family can have that closure and move forward and let my sister rest in peace."

More on