Go b-a-n-a-n-a-s over this vanilla-flavoured loaf
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
Banana loaf is perfect for an afternoon snack or part of your morning breakfast.
Warm it in the microwave for a fresh out of the oven taste then use it the next day for a very tasty french toast!
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then set these ingredients aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Stir in mashed bananas and sour cream. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir to moisten. Add walnuts if using and stir to combine.
3. Scrape into 8 x 4 inch (1.5 L) loaf pan and bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for about 1 hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
4. Let cool in pan on rack. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
Emily richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author & tv celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca
- Flour. If you don’t have both all purpose and whole wheat flours, simply use one throughout the recipe. You can also try the nutri-blend flour that has added bran.
- Storage. Wrap loaf whole or in quarters in plastic wrap and in heavy-duty foil, and freeze up to two weeks. Wrap loaf in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to three days.
• 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
• 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
• 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) sour cream
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted chopped walnuts (optional)