Pro Track: Where ex-Mooseheads are now
|Report an Error|
Share via Email
In an effort to keep tabs on former members of the Halifax Mooseheads, here’s a look at prominent alumni who played professionally this past season.
* Eight ex-Mooseheads played in the NHL this season: Jakub Voracek (Philadelphia), Brad Marchand (Boston), Alex Tanguay (Calgary), Milan Jurcina (N.Y. Islanders), Alexandre Picard (Pittsburgh), Jody Shelley(Philadelphia), J-S Giguere (Colorado) and Joey MacDonald (Detroit).
* Blueliner Andrew Bodnarchuk spent time in the NHL on Boston’s roster but didn’t play. He got into 63 AHL games with the Providence Bruins and had five goals and 12 assists.
* Winger Jason King was another prominent player in the AHL. Playing on a minor-league contract, King returned to his home province of Newfoundland and Labrador and had 22 goals and 17 assists for 39 points in 70 games with the St. John’s IceCaps.
* Former captain and ex-New Jersey Devils forward Petr Vrana had a great season in the Kontinental Hockey League. He finished 12th in league scoring with 19 goals and 24 assists for 43 points in 46 games. Ladislav Nagy, also in the KHL, had 25 points in 42 games with Lev Poprad and Dinamo Minsk. Goaltender Alexei Volkov started 24 KHL games with Dynamo Moscow, posting a 2.18 goals-against average and a .919 save percentage.
* Former NHLers Ramzi Abid and David Brine both spent the season in Austria. Abid put up 46 points in 48 games with Salzburg and Brine had 23 points in 49 games with Medvescak Zagreb. Blueliner Franklin MacDonald played in the same league with Linz.
* Brothers Daniel and Kris Sparre had good years in the German Elite League. Daniel, with Straubing, had 19 goals among 34 points in 52 games. Kris had 29 points. Meanwhile, ex-Mooseheads blueliner Jimmy Sharrow had 20 points in the same league with Berlin.
* Forward Brandon Reid, one of the most popular ex-Mooseheads, spent the season with Rapperswil Jona of the Swiss National League A and put up six goals and 10 assists for 16 points in 39 games.
* Forward Brandon Benedict, another popular alumnus, spent his third straight season in the United Kingdom-based Elite Ice Hockey League. He recorded 58 points in 62 games with the Nottingham Panthers.
* Wingers Tomas Knotek and Jan Stransky are both regulars in the Czech ExtraLiga. Knotek had 13 points in 47 games with Kladno and Stransky 14 points in 49 games with Plzen. Defenceman Jiri Suchy played for three different teams at the Czech Republic’s second level.
* Forward Logan MacMillan spent most of the year with the Utah Grizzlies in the ECHL in the Calgary Flames' farm system. The former Anaheim Ducks first-rounder put up 24 points in 47 games and got a nine-game stint in the AHL.
* Goaltender Peter Delmas also spent most of the season in the ECHL. He had a 2.50 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage in 37 appearances.
* Former New York Rangers draft pick Ryan Hillier took the year off and is expected to suit up for the Saint Mary’s Huskies next season. He spent three injury-plagued seasons in the pros.